Ways to Participate
Family Sleepover Weekend
For families travelling from a distance, we host five Sleepover Weekends, allowing the entire family to experience outdoor activities together. During a weekend, all members of the family receive ski/snowboard lessons. Meals and housing are provided free of charge. Evening activities include night sledding, movie night, a campfire- just to name a few!
On designated Saturday and Sunday’s, medically qualifying student’s receive daytime (9am-3pm) ski/snowboard lessons from trained volunteer instructor’s. During the child’s lesson, a parent/guardian must remain onsite.
A Typical Day:
9:00am – Get equipped for the slopes
10am – Hit the slopes
12pm – Lunch time
1pm – Back on the slopes
3pm – Call it a day
Friday Family Night
On designated Friday evenings (5:30-8:30pm) once a month, parents and siblings can join us for dinner and a ski/snowboard lesson on the mountain under the lights!
Winter Student Criteria
The following criteria have been established for attendance in the winter program. In order for a child to attend he/she must:
- Have a medical diagnosis of Cancer, Sickle Cell Anemia, Hemophilia/Blood Disorder, HIV/Immune Disorder, Collagen Vascular Disease, Autism Spectrum Disorders, Mitochondrial Disorder, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Visual Impairments or select Neuromuscular Impairments (such as Muscular Dystrophy, Spina Bifida or Cerebral Palsy)
- Be age 6-16 years old.
- Be medically unable to attend any other winter program.
Requirements for the winter student application:
- All parent forms must be completed and signed by a parent/guardian.
- Medical forms must be completed and signed by a health-care provider.
- Complete immunization records are required for all participants to attend Double H.
- Completed calendar of your child’s available dates.
Adaptive Winter Sports Program Policies:
- It is mandatory for a parent/guardian to remain onsite while your child(ren) participates in the program.
- All programs are free of charge, however, transportation to and from the Ranch is the responsibility of the family.
- Family members (parents/siblings) will only be allowed to ski/snowboard on scheduled Family Sleepover Weekends and designated Friday evening programs.
We would like to be able to accept every child that applies to the Double H, but we often receive more interest than we have space for! All applications are subject to a medical review by our Nursing Director. Decisions regarding acceptance are based upon the child’s inability to attend a typical mountain, the severity of the child’s medical needs and other factors (age, equipment needed, etc.). Double H Ranch reserves the right to make selections/decisions based on other factors as deemed appropriate by the qualified staff.
Once approved for the Adaptive Winter Sports Program, confirmation information will be e-mailed to you by the end of December. If your child is put on a waiting list, we will contact you if we have a cancellation.
Our Adaptive Winter Sports Program runs from January through March. The 2019 Winter Calendar is also part of the student application (online or paper copy).